Step 1. Choosing where to live
Research the area where you want to build so you can see what’s on offer and at what price, taking into account:
- convenience to major shopping precincts, essential day-to-day services and amenities
- proximity to child care, primary and high schools, playing fields and sporting facilities
- transport services
- lifestyle conveniences
Check the credentials of the developer of the community and look at the area’s master plan to see what is proposed for your community.
Step 2. Financing your home
Work out your borrowing capacity and seek independent financial advice to find the right loan for you.
Understand all the costs and how much you can afford to borrow. Getting the right loan means considering and budgeting for all your financial commitments and ongoing costs, lifestyle expectations and allowing for contingencies for unexpected expenses.
Step 3. Choosing your land
By choosing the right community you can be certain that your new home meets your lifestyle needs. Choosing the right block gives you the flexibility to design and site the home of your dreams. Take into account:
- lot size and shape
- aspect and positioning of the home on the block
- zoning and design essentials and the standard of housing in your chosen community.
Step 4. Choosing your home design
Once you’ve chosen a community and considered your land options, it’s time to decide on the home design that complements your needs and lifestyle requirements.
Things to consider:
- how much space your family needs
- how formal or informal is your lifestyle and will your home match your lifestyle
- does the floorplan suit your needs and flow well
- how well cross-ventilated is the house to keep you cool in summer
- does the home have plenty of natural light.